Send Me On My Way -Rusted Roots

Feb 9, 2013

Come On Over and Let's Do Some Improv!

Hello amigos.

     I really question why I wait so long to write my blogs because by the time I get around to it, I have way too much to write and it's always in the wee hours of the morning.

Come On Over, Come On Over Baby!
     Wednesday I had my first Early Modern English lecture and I thought it was funny that only after fifteen minutes did I realize she had an American accent. Interesting. I may be becoming desensitized. I enjoyed the class. We are doing Christopher Marlowe's Dr. Faustus and then Edward II so I'm looking forward to the readings. That night, Daisy tried to make some soup from ingredients her mother sent her from Hong Kong. Never in my life have I seen anything like it. I seriously thought it was an alien, but she just put it in water and boiled it for three hours and the result was strange, but actually fantastic. While waiting on the soup to do something... anything really... we watched Vampire Diaries for a couple hours. I would like to take a moment and say I love these people here. I have been told at least five times I look like Lea Michele and twice I look like Nina Dobrev. If that doesn't boost a girl's confidence, I don't know what does!

     That night there was karaoke in the bar and if you know me, I simply could not refuse. After a long while in the bar waiting for people to start singing, I finally got up and sang Come On Over by Christina Aguilera. I love that song. I honestly only wanted to sing once, but the girls were badgering me to sing Beyonce and I would have, but they didn't have any of her songs. Oh well! Back in my room, I delightedly Skyped with my boyfriend, Pancho, but unfortunately, he could hear me but I couldn't hear him. That made for an interesting video call where we mostly just stared at each other. But it was still fun. We have done it again twice since that night.

     In the meantime, I have been watching Downton Abbey in every spare moment. I have decided that the Dowager Countess is my favorite character. Maggie Smith is a genius. Here are some of my favorite quotes from her character:

  • (About a family scandal) I hate Greek drama where everything happens offstage.
  • (About a telephone [press one for blah blah; please hold]) Is this an instrument of communication or torture?
  • (Crying when William and Daisy marry) I have a cold.
Jamie, Me, Ariana, Celina
     Thursday, I had Modern Drama. I enjoy the class and the readings, but I really dislike how disrespectful and loud some students are during the lecture. Frankly, I'm also disappointed that more students don't do the readings either. Maybe I'm just being snobbish, but I really love reading plays. Another thing that wasn't so great was that last time I sat between BO and fart smells. I shall not make that mistake again.

     At the language cafe after class, I got to host an improv workshop! We started really small with Kitty Wants a Corner and LOW. They all seemed to love it and it was great fun. Imagine those games with five different accents. It was fantastic. I'd have to say the best part was when the little girl (about 10?) was acting out the location, a hospital, and Kelly wasn't understanding so the girl did it again and when Kelly still didn't understand, the girl said, "Okay, I have one last clue." at which point she drew a square in the air and said, "That's it." We all busted up laughing. It was hilarious! We will be having another workshop next Thursday and I am very much looking forward to it. I might teach Zip, Zap, Zop or Red Ball then LOW again.

     When I returned to my room, I cooked!!!!! I made linguine with meatballs and marinara sauce. I also added garlic butter sauteed mushrooms and mozzarella cheese. I'm glad it was good because I had enough for breakfast the next day and lunch as well. After I had finished, I Skyped Matt Riedl! I had to catch him before he went to work, so we didn't talk long but that was alright. He filled me in on the Spring Show casting back home. Looks alright to me. Congrats to those who were cast! I will watch your dress rehearsal, so be prepared! >:)

My new tattoo. And Alaina's. And the lady behind us.
     I have three more random things before I say adieu.

  1. Loni Skyped me. My family FINALLY has WIFI. Although, they were supposed to Skype me 2.5 hours ago all together. -__- Maybe they will talk to me eventually.
  2. I asked one of my classmates what his view of America was and he described High School Musical. Literally he said short sleeve t-shirts, basketball, and breaking into song randomly. Also -__-.
  3. I got a new tattoo. It's on my face and very classy as you can see. Also, Alaina came and visited. If you saw her recently, you actually didn't. She was here with me... Yep. This is fact.
  4. Blake said I must tell this story: He bought a lottery ticket when the winnings were up to half a billion and made a bargain with God that if he won, they would split it 50/50. He didn't win but he decided to keep the deal going. He bought more scratch-offs and when he won, he would split it with the church. Later in the week, his mother told him he received some mail, so he opened it and inside was $10 of complementary scratch-off tickets. HA! Still no word on whether he won or not, but I thought the story was neat. Wait. He just logged into Skype. I'll ask... He didn't answer. I'll let you all know.

This is good  night then! Or good morning. Whenever you are, may it be good. I shall write about my trip to London later. I'm too tired at the moment.

Love always,
Russell x


No comments:

Post a Comment